You don't have to be a professional photographer to create family photos that look natural; you just have to follow a few simple rules.
Tips on how to take a
good family portrait
Here are some ways to put your subjects at ease:
- Get them talking or telling stories.
- Photograph them in a familiar environment.
- Position people naturally. Try arranging people at different height levels or in groupings.
- Don't arrange your family at all. Capture action shots of the kids playing together, for example.
Take a moment and consider your composition. It can turn an everyday snapshot into a work of art.
- Zoom in with your camera and fill the frame with your family.
- Shoot subjects at eye level or slightly above to give the
- Try extreme angles for a dramatic effect—like shooting
from directly above as your kids play in the grass.
- Crop in close to capture facial expressions.